Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Graduate School

Last night was my first class as a Graduate Student. I am only taking 1 class this semester for a few reasons. First of all, I was accepted so late that my options were limited. Second, I have not been in school for a long time, I wanted time to adjust. Third, it is really expensive! Since we are attempting to do this without taking loans, I need to stay within affordability. Finally, I have a family who needs me now.

I am a little freaked out right now. I have to write a 25 page paper with footnotes included. I don't think I can remember how to do footnotes. The topic needs to be of historical significance since 1945. I am trying to think outside the box. In other words, the Civil Rights movement or the Kennedy assassination is plan B. While I value the historic significance of both these events, I am guessing that the professor has read a lot of papers on these topics. I want to WOW him. My husband has been coming up with ideas, but, they are all technology based. I am not really into technology. I was leaning towards something political. But, I am not sure that I would be able to be objective when writing. I have some strong opinions about the last administration (I am not saying if those opinions are good or bad). I guess I have some thinking to do.

I did practice frugality while preparing for school. Frugality in the way of textbooks. Before buying any of my books, I checked to see what was available at the library. Low and behold, the library had one of my books. I will be checking that out this week, and will renew it until mid term when I no longer need it. I saved $20.00. My remaining books were purchased used. I did do something last night at school that was not frugal, but will do every week. I parked in the underground, heated parking ramp. When I was an undergraduate at UWM in the early 90's I remember thinking that the "rich" people were the only people who could afford such a luxury. Well, we are not rich by any means. But, heated parking during a Wisconsin winter is worth the $2.75 per week I will have to pay. Imagine that, only $2.75, how one's perspective changes over time. I would bet that 15 years ago that rate would have been $1.50 and it seemed unattainable to me at the time.

Have a great day. I am looking forward to a day of working out, cleaning, laundry and studying.

No comments:

Post a Comment