For my daughter's 11 birthday party, the girls decorated pillowcases. It was a very frugal craft. I bought the pillowcases at Target for $4.49 for a pack of 2. I bought some fabric paint and markers. The girls loved it and it took a good hour to complete. Here is an example.
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Today is a very rainy day and my kids are home for Spring Break. My middle child has a friend over. Alec and Maeghan are playing board games to pass the time.
I decided to get some much needed cleaning done while the kids enjoy a day of solitude and quiet. As I write this, Hannah is playing Lady Gaga on ipod while coloring with her friend, my other children are in the basement playing a board game. It is turning out to be a good day, in spite of the wet weather.
Here is a picture of the Easter eggs we decorated with Grandma. We had a lot of fun decorating. It took a full hour! I was shocked that we were able to keep an activity going so long.
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Here is a picture of a craft that my daughter recently did. I cannot take any credit for it, she did this at a friends house. She created this bead curtain to hang in her door. All that is needed is straws, beads and yarn. I guess it took her hours and she loves it.
Monday, April 5, 2010
1. Recycled old Easter baskets for the kids instead of buying new this year. Total saved, $6.00
2. Made homemade buttermilk instead of running out to buy some that was needed to today. Recipe for it is 1 cup of milk, 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar. Let sit for 15 minutes at room temperature. Turned out perfect. Total saved, $2.00
3. Family entertainment included board games, movies we have and outside time. Total saved? I don't know.
4. Did not do any unnecessary driving this weekend. I wonder how much I saved on gas?
5. Did not allow myself to go overboard this year when purchasing Easter basket filler. They each got a book, a small gift and a little candy. We also had a small egg hunt for them. I spent about $50 total for all 3 kids. I thought that was pretty good.
6. Made a big Easter breakfast instead of going out. It was a very healthy and delicious breakfast. Total saved, at least $50
7. Did not allow myself to be talked into increasing a monthly donation that we make to a charity we believe in. We are comfortable with what we give. Normally I am easily persuaded on these things. I stood firm. Total saved, $5 per month
8. With the kids being home this week, I cancelled a couple of standing appointments that require pay at the time. Will get back to my schedule next month. I figured that I save $50 this week.
9. My son wants a new basketball. Normally, I would buy it for him. I told him to use a gift card that he received from Grandma to pay for it. Total saved, $20??
10. Instead of pizza night, I defrosted some ground beef and made homemade enchiladas. Total saved, $25.