Thursday, July 29, 2010

Basil Pesto

One of my favorite treats from our yearly garden is the basil that we grow. For me, basil is the perfect complement to any summer dish. I use it in everything from poultry to salads, and of course in pasta. I like to make fresh pesto for pastas, mayonnaise or even to add to pizza. Here is the recipe that I use. If you have your own basil, it will prove to be frugal.

Pesto
3 cups basil
2-3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
handful of walnuts or pine nuts
pinch of salt and pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

Put everything in a food processor, except the olive oil. When everything is chopped, pour a steady stream of olive oil while processor is running.

You can put the extra pesto in ice cube trays for future use. When frozen, pop them out and store in freezer bags. Perfect for mid winter blues when you want a taste of summer.

Another meal I like to make with our fresh basil is Caprese Salad. My recipe is easy, and if you have tomatoes in your garden, frugal as well!

Caprese Salad
Sliced Tomatoes
Mozzarella Cheese
Basil
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper

Slice tomatoes, spread on a plate. Add mozzarella and basil. Drizzle with olive oil. Top off with salt and pepper to taste. Delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment