Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Difficulty of Eating All Local Food and Other Rants

First of all, I have not written in a few days because I was not feeling good. I had a little bit of a virus that had me pretty run down Wednesday and Thursday. Friday was my 16th wedding anniversary and yesterday was all soccer, all day! So now, I find a few minutes to blog on a quiet Sunday morning before my family wakes up and we can have another soccer/volleyball day.

My husband and I went to the grocery store on Friday, fulling intending to stay on course with our local challenge. We went to our co-op to shop. What we found was that it is almost impossible to stay completely local while having a balanced and healthy diet. We just couldn't find everything that we needed available locally. So, we made a decision, if a product we need is local, we buy it. But, if we need something that does not have a local choice, we have no choice. I guess trade started centuries ago for a reason. A great example of why this was an issue, fruit. We found that the only local choice we had was apples. Don't get me wrong, they are great, but can I really give my 3 children several servings of apples everyday?

Yesterday 2 of my kids had soccer games, they were scheduled in such a way that our whole day was consumed by soccer. Today we have 1 soccer game to attend and 2 volleyball games. Again, scheduled so that the games will take up our whole day. I love watching the kids play their games, but sometimes it can be a bit much.

I am going to go a bit off course this morning. I almost never talk about politics or religion on my blog. I have strong opinions about both, but keep them to myself or rant with friends who agree with me. But, I have to say that I am really troubled by the direction this country is going in regards to absolute intolerance of Islam. Yesterday was a day of remembrance, sadness and what should have been a day of solidarity as Americans, regardless of political affiliation and religion. Instead, the news has been saturated with talk of Quran burnings and demonstrations in New York about a Islam center that is not even being built on the WTC site. What happen to living in a country that was built because people were escaping religious persecution? Are we really becoming what our ancestors were escaping? I really hope that is not the case.

Now, please no mean comments or invitations for debate about what I wrote. This is my blog, my thoughts and opinions and my right to say what I feel about a topic that I think is becoming dangerous.

Happy Sunday and to those who will be relaxing at home and not at games, have a beer for me:)


No comments:

Post a Comment