Thursday, June 25, 2009

Another Great "Free" Activity

Today, between an orthodontist appointment and a doctor appointment, my kids and I found ourselves with an hour of time to kill. Thankfully, on the way to the clinic, we spotted a great place to fill in our extra hour, all for free. We went to an exotic pet store, Hoffer's Pets.

Let me start out by saying we have been to Hoffer's many times. My middle child, Hannah, loves animals. We even had her 7th birthday party at Hoffer's. So, we were well aware of what we would find in the store, a well known Milwaukee treasure that never fails to please. Hoffer's is like a zoo. There are exhibits of animals that are not for sale throughout the store. For example, in the middle of the store is a tree with water surrounding it with turtles and alligators living together peacefully (I am not an animal expert, so I have to assume that the alligators are not turtle predators). There is another exhibit with big, beautiful tortoises. Other animals that we saw were snakes, rabbits, ferrets, birds, and large goldfish (which the kids can pet) and a man made coral reef. The one downfall to this excursion was my daughter's unwillingness to accept that we are NEVER EVER going to buy a rodent, reptile or bird as a pet. She spent the majority of our time at the pet store begging and pleading. Telling me that they deserved a better home. I disagree.

I am very grateful to have driven by Hoffer's and to have been reminded of it again. The last month has proven to be expensive, we seem to be hemorrhaging money this month. I need to get back to frugal living and utilizing all the free activities that are available to us. I am always open to suggestions from others about ways to fill my days with free or inexpensive activities, so if someone is reading this with an idea, send me a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment