Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Brrrrr

Boy did it get it cold overnight here in Wisconsin. It is so hard to believe that one week ago we were contending with 100+ heat indexes and today we need a jacket to keep warm. What a difference a week makes! I save the movies my children want to see for days like today. Cold and dreary, the perfect excuse to see a long awaited movie. The kids have patiently been waiting to see Up. I would prefer to save it for late summer when it is offered at 10:00 a.m. on a Wednesday for $3.00, but in light of the today's weather, we will go this afternoon.

An update to the postcard project. We received 2 more cards today, one from North Carolina and one from South Carolina. Score!! Again, 2 more states I assumed we would not get, but a stranger who heard about our project dropped them in the mail for the kids. It was a great learning opportunity for them. Not only did they have to find the states on the map, but because they came from coastal communities, we also had an excuse to find the Atlantic Ocean and talk about it. We all look forward to what may arrive in tomorrow's mail and eagerly await a response to the 4 letters we sent out today requesting cards. Stay tuned to see if we reach our goal by summer's end.

Dinner tonight will be a Chick Pea and Spinach Stew that I found at www.thesimpledollar.com. For anyone interested in in saving money and staying frugal, this is a great website. The meal I am making will utilize the remaining spinach I have from last week's CSA box. I would hate to see good vegetables go to waste. I will report on how the stew tastes after tonight's dinner.

One final note. Summer continues to go by with very little fighting or boredom. I was concerned that maybe I had over scheduled my children for the summer. But, it appears as if the decision to keep them busy was the right one after all. I admit that we are still early into the summer break, but if things continue to go as smoothly as they have the last few weeks, we should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment