Friday, July 24, 2009

Today I spent the afternoon helping my two oldest children pack for summer camp. My husband and I are both very excited for them to go to camp. They are attending the same camp that we both attended as children. My parents also went to the same camp. It is proving the be a family tradition that needs to be carried on.

I would be dishonest if I said that I am not sending them off with a little bit of apprehension. I am a typical mother. I find myself worrying that they could drown, catch Lyme disease, find themselves bunking with the meanest child in Wisconsin. My list could go on forever. I have to stop myself from continuing because if I do, I will probably find myself attending camp with them. I wish that I could let them go without a worry. But, I have accepted that is not going to happen, so I have to have faith that things will be okay. They are strong swimmers, so drowning is out of the question, I think. Lyme disease can be controlled if I do a full body search when they get home. Finally, since it is a YMCA camp, I am confident that the meanest child in Wisconsin will in fact not be in attendance at summer camp in the North Woods.

I am looking forward to a full week alone with my youngest daughter. We have plans for the week, that are frugal. We are going to play miniature golf using coupons I have for a free game. We are going to go to the art and public museum. Both free because we have memberships. The only activity that we have planned with a price tag is a movie. Ice Age 3, an animated film. I NEVER stay awake through animated films. They bore me to sleep. My kids accept this fault of mine and have begun to make jokes about it.

My daughter Hannah, who is going to camp, is a vegetarian. Next week will be a meat heavy week around here. I make a lot of vegetarian meals in an effort to respect her choice. Next week will be a full week of chicken, beef, pork, turkey and brats. We can eat these meals without the animal rights speech we get nearly every time we indulge in meat.

So, Sunday the family is driving to Northern Wisconsin from Milwaukee to drop the kids off at a camp that will give them an education in the outdoors. I hope I can make it through the week without worrying too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment