Sunday, September 5, 2010

Updates



September 1st my family started the local food challenge. My doing this challenge, we commit to eating foods that are produced within a 300 mile radius. We all agree that we should probably lower that a bit, probably 100 miles, but at least we are starting somewhere. So far we have been successful, it is only the 5th though. Vegetables have come from our garden, meats from a local farmers market (or frozen from our freezer from a previous grocery run). Our dairy is always local, in fact that has never been an issue for us. Everything else, I read the label to verify where produced. We did all try to come up with one thing that we can't give up. Here is what we have come up with.

Eric- has not told me, but he bought Vodka on Friday, so I guess that is
it.
Me- Coffee
Alec- peanut butter
Hannah- Annie's Mac and Cheese
Maeghan- yogurt that we get at Trader Joes

Tonight's dinner is going to be Cream of Tomato Soup and Zucchini bread, mostly from our garden.

The rest of week proved to bring excitement into the house. The kids started school. I now have 2 kids in middle school. They just keep getting older, the sad thing is that the older they get, the older I get. With the start of school, we see the start of band (more instruments to practice), sports and after school activities. I will also be starting a class on Wednesday and I increased my hours at work. So much to do, so little time! Here are some pictures of the first day of school.











1 comment:

  1. So cool! I'm looking forward to reading along this month to see how it works for you guys. We try to eat local as much as possible, but we've never challenged ourselves in this way.

    Vodka, coffee, peanut butter, mac'n'cheese, yogurt - love your choices for "exemptions" :-D

    Good luck! You're inspiring!

    ReplyDelete