Friday, January 14, 2011

Day 14- Eat 8 Servings of Fruit and Vegetables Everyday

Since we were little kids, we have all been told to eat our fruits and vegetables. As parents, we continue with the tradition of nagging our kids to eat their fruits and vegetables. They are good for us. The benefits of consuming them seem to be endless. Every magazine, book and newspaper that discuss ways to improve your health emphasize the importance of eating this very important food group. The benefits include the following: vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, low calorie, filling, keeps you regular, and the list goes on. I read these articles and I promise myself that I will add more or these to my diet. I usually stick to it for about a week and I will see the benefits. Then, something will happen that will get me off track. This year I vow, I will stick to 8 servings a day.

As it is, I probably get 5 servings a day, but mostly in the form of fruit. I love fruit! Berries, bananas and apples are among my favorites. But, I also really love juice, which is high in calories. What I need to add is more vegetables. I like vegetables, I just don't love them. I also don't find them to be as easy to grab as an apple or banana. I am not big on eating raw carrots or celery. Even when I have the best of intentions and but them, I will still just grab that apple. So, my goal for today will be to eat 8 servings. I have already hit 3 for the day. Breakfast gave me a banana, blueberries and a glass of juice. Lunch will be a salad, I am determined to stick that, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment