Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My son's refusal to get a haircut!

 In my daily adventures to save money, I am always open to any idea or strategy that will help remain true to my frugal roots.  In recent months though, I have found one annoyance that I would be willing to go for broke in order to cure.  My son will not get a haircut!  He is 11 years old and at that age where he is determined to exert his independence.  It doesn't help that shaggy hair seems to be the norm these days.   Or, that boys seem to be convinced that their self worth is directly tied to how long their hair is.  I know that I have to pick my battles and that this is one battle that I am not all that interested in fighting to the death.  However, he really is starting to look ridiculous, not to mention I forgot what color is eyes are.  While I can say that my patience with his new found style is still somewhat intact, I don't think I can say the same for his father.

My husband has been trying to use any opportunity presented to him to win this particular war. For example,  Alec wanted to sign up for a game on the internet.  Eric suggested he could do that if we could think of something that Alec could do for us in return.  Maybe, a haircut?  Alec decided he didn't want the game that much after all.  Suggestions of a haircut instead of a punishment have been casually mentioned, Alec falls into line immediately.  Even comparing him to Zac Efron has done little to lessen his resolute on this matter, the hair stays. My husband remains frustrated and I still wonder what color my boy's eyes are.

In the end, I do believe that my husband and I will have to admit defeat, surrender to the power of peer pressure and the belief that the hair makes the boy.  We have lost every battle and now it is time to admit we have lost the war.  When all is said and done, we can chalk this up to a savings of about $90 so far (he has refused a haircut since July).  I guess that is being frugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment