Friday, April 3, 2009

My latest great deal.


We have had a rug in our family room since we moved into our house, October 2000.  When I bought the rug, it was perfect!  It matched the furniture, it had a cute pattern, and the price was right.  When I bought this rug though, I failed to keep one very important thing in mind.  It was cream colored.  Notice how I say "was" cream colored.    When I picked out this perfect rug many years ago, I was not thinking about the toddlers I had at home, the dogs that run wild through the house or the fact that getting anyone to take off their shoes in this house is a daily struggle that I may devote to a future blog.  Instead, it was calling my name, I had to have that rug.

Recently, I was looking at that brown rug of mine thinking it was time to replace it.  So I started checking out sales at stores when I had a chance.  I found rugs that I liked, but nothing that fit in the budget I had in mind to replace it.  That is, until yesterday.  While running errands I decided to run into Kohls to use a $10 off anything $10 or more coupon I had received from Kohls for my birthday.  My plan was to find something that we needed for $10 so I would get my choice for free.   I found myself wandering the store aimlessly and then in the corner of my eye I saw a red sign which said 80% off.  To my amazement that 80% off was for rugs! Jackpot!  With my $10 off in my hand, I ran to that display and found the perfect reddish/brownish very busy patterned rug.  It matched our furniture perfectly, it was dark enough to hide the stains that will inevitably find their way on the rug and most importantly, it was 80% off!  The original price was $350.00 on sale for $70.00.  I grabbed my rug and took it to the checkout counter to pay.  Then to my surprise, I was handed a scratch off card for an additional discount.  My additional discount was 20% off which was added after the $10 coupon was used.  Before tax was added, my $350.00 rug cost $47.99, score!  After tax was added, I was only .44 cents above my budget. 

I am so happy that I had decided to stick to my budget for this purchase.  I was getting to the point of going above what I wanted to pay because it was an item that desperately needed to be replaced.  Patience won this time! 

Above is picture of a small part of the new rug.

No comments:

Post a Comment