Sunday, April 26, 2009

Another Sunday Feast!

My daughter, Hannah, helped make dinner again tonight.  She is becoming quite the little chef. Yesterday I gave her a new cook book and told her that if she wanted to help again, she could plan the menu.  It turns out that she is very ambitious when planning her meals.  We made homemade ravioli with homemade tomato sauce, salad, homemade chocolate pudding and juice.

Thankfully, we have a pasta maker that my husband is very capable on.  He made the pasta dough and rolled it out for us.  We were responsible for hand making the actual ravioli.  It was pretty easy actually.  Time consuming of course.  But, better tasting than store bought and better for you I would guess.   The inside was nothing more than ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and parsley.   The sauce was very easy to make also.  Tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and basil.  That was it, oh, and a little sugar.  She also made homemade chocolate pudding with real whipped cream.  It was delicious!!  Having her around to pick out the menu is forcing me to use more whole foods and fresh foods than already do.  She is having a positive influence on all of us.

I would be a bad mom if I failed to mention that I let my 6 year old make tonight's beverage.  It was a juice mixture.  One third orange juice, apple and raspberry.  It was pretty good.  She was very proud of her contribution to the meal.  It could have been any awful combination of beverages and we would have consumed it because she was so pleased with herself.

I think that it is definitely time to let all of my kids start helping more in the kitchen.  It was a really nice way for us to bond and spend time together.  Not to mention, kids really do eat healthy food when they help in preparation.   I never would have believed that if I did not witness it again tonight.   

No comments:

Post a Comment