Saturday, April 25, 2009

Rain, Rain Go Away?



Today, it rained and rained.  Then, it rained some more.  I am not complaining, we really need the rain.  It has been too dry for too long.  Not to mention, April showers bring May flowers!   Of course, with the rain, came a day inside.  

I wrote a few weeks ago about having crafts on hand for frugal activities on the weekends.  Today proved that on hand crafts are perfect for rainy days.   Originally, today's plan's included my son's soccer game and errands.  The down pours that we saw cancelled the game and made me too lazy to leave the house unnecessarily.  Thankfully, last weekend I took my girls to Michael's Craft Store and had them pick out a bunch of crafts for future fun.  We left the store with paint by numbers, sculpey clay and Crayola Mosaic Magic clay.  Upon arriving home last weekend, I immediately hid the crafts in my closet for a rainy day.  My girls were the first to remember about these treasures today, and after lunch out came the crafts.

All 3 of my kids sat down in the kitchen at 1:00 pm to start working on them and did not stop until 4:30 pm.  That was 3.5 hours of rainy day activities that did not involve the TV, video games or computers.  Not an easy feat these days.  Not once, did they ask for me to turn on any electronics with the exception of Radio Disney.  We all worked on them together.  I helped my daughter with the paint by numbers while my husband helped the youngest with her Tinkerbelle Mosaic Magic.  My son, started a paint by numbers and finished a race care made out of Sculpey clay.  It was a fun afternoon for us.  I am not saying that the kids were not a bit antsy being stuck inside, they were.  But, the crafts really helped them forget about the fun of being outside in the Spring.

Tomorrow, I am going to have to go back to Michael's to stock up again on crafts.  They either used up or at least started on the crafts I bought last weekend.  No complaints from me though. I believe that creativity and imagination during childhood help in creating bright and successful adults.  Not to mention, crafting at home is very frugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment