Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 1 - Get Enough Sleep

I am going to start the new year off with an easy change. Get enough sleep. I am a big believer in the importance of 8 hours of sleep a night. Personally, if I don't get enough, I am crabbier than a toddler who hasn't gotten enough. I aim for it every night, last night was no different, I did get 8 hours.

Some think of sleep as a chore or just a simple luxury. It is neither, it is a necessity. Without enough sleep your memory is not sharp, you are less likely to make rational decisions, you can gain weight and you can lessen the strength of your immune system. Of course this list is not all inclusive, the risks go on, far more than I am aware of.

Historically, I have had bouts of insomnia, a problem I have passed on to my own daughter. A few years ago, I talked to my doctor about using OTC sleep aids in an effort to end this ongoing problem. With my doctors advice, I was told that the use of OTC sleep aids is safe and that the benefits of the sleep I am getting outweigh any possible risks. So, when I can't sleep or I know that I am going to have trouble I take one and an hour later I am sound asleep. I sleep for 8 hours straight. I will continue doing this, I will NEVER go back to not sleeping again.

I started the year off with a good nights sleep and expect that the next 364 nights in 2011 will bring me 8 hours a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment