Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter

Happy Easter!  My family is not very religious.  However, I do have to admit that I love Easter. I love the idea of rebirth, the very definition of Spring in my opinion.  The flowers are just beginning to bloom, the insects are rustling (my husband saw a solitary bee today) and the animals are waking up and/or giving birth.  The proof in that was the baby fawn we saw with it's mother today on our way home from Grandma's house. 

Our Easter was as close to perfect as possible, in my opinion.  The weather was perfect.  It has been sunny and the temperature seasonal.   The drive we had to make to Green Bay was without incident.  Very little fighting between the kids, light traffic and great company.  We were able to visit with family that we just don't see enough.  It is on days like today, I realize our modern, hectic lifestyle really does interfere with spending time with family and friends on a regular basis. Holidays tend to remind me of the days when families gathered together for Sunday Suppers.  The special occasion on those Sundays of day's past was love of family.  My own family is guilty of making a quick dinner of sandwiches on Sundays in fall because football or soccer practice is on the schedule.  I ask myself, how did I let this happen to my own family? I had vowed to myself years ago that my family would not become over scheduled, I was unable to keep my own promise to myself.  .

I reminisce today, but guarantee that by tomorrow I will be back into my own fast paced life. I will forget the tinge of guilt I felt today when I had to say goodbye to my Uncle too soon or when I saw my husband say good bye to his ailing Grandmother, knowing we probably will not see either of them again until late summer, or even Christmas.  I wish I could say that I am going to have my own rebirth and make family more of a priority.  Realistically though, I know that the distance between our families and the time constraints that we all have make it very difficult to see one another more.  However, I could make a commitment to see family on a more regular basis, maybe once every 3 months instead of every 6 months.  I could also insist that 3 nights a week my own family sits at the table together, all of us.  Sundays included.  We could make baby steps toward making family time more of a priority.  Who knows, maybe in time, we could return to the idea of a Sunday Supper.

No comments:

Post a Comment