Monday, April 13, 2009

On Vacation

Today I took my children on a road trip to Minnesota.  My parents live in the Twin Cities, 5 hours from our home in Milwaukee.  We do not see them enough, through no ones fault but my own. My parents are always the ones responsible for making the trek to our home for a visit.  For years, I have had the excuse of having babies, toddlers or preschoolers to drag along.  It was always harder for me to make the trip.   Today, as we drove across the great state of Wisconsin, (don't let a map fool you, this is one big state to drive across) my daughters were complaining endlessly.  It was too long!  They were in the car for ever!  Would we ever get to Minnesota?  These statements and questions went on forever.  In their defense, they are not used to the trip, I am ashamed to say it has been 2 years since we traveled to see the grandparents.  My son, in all his wisdom said "why are you complaining?  They always come to us."  In that one statement I realized I have no more excuses to avoid that very long trip.  Mom, Dad, you have my word.  We will split the time with you now.  50/50, it's time, and you have earned it.

No comments:

Post a Comment