Monday, May 11, 2009

Frugal Travel

A few weeks ago I posted a blog about our summer plans.  It was my intention when writing that blog that we would forgo summer travel because of the economy.  After further consideration, my husband and I did decide to take a vacation after all.  We are going to travel to Western Massachusetts for a week.  This trip came out of the blue and we are leaving in 4 weeks already. Yikes!!

The decision to make this vacation was made for a couple of reasons.  First of all, when we got married, my parents gave us a timeshare that they had purchased in the early 1980's.  The week of our timeshare is the first week of January and only sleeps 4 people (we are a family of 5).  This time proves to be difficult for us because of the kids going back to school after Christmas, and, we can't all stay in the resort.  So, we always "bank" the time with the intention of using the time later.  Well, we are not always good about using the time wisely, frequently we find ourselves in a use it or lose it scenario, which we found ourselves in Friday.  We had all wanted to go to the East Coast, so I told the operator we will take anything on the East Coast in the second week of June.  We find ourselves booked to go to Massachusetts.  This exchange is going to cost us $189 for board for the entire week.  We are going to be provided with a full kitchen, so we can do our own cooking, saving a lot on groceries.  The bulk of our vacation bill will be the gas to get to the East Coast from Wisconsin.  I am optimistic that gas prices will not go as high as they did last summer.

The second reason we decided to take this vacation is that we wanted to spend time with our kids.  I have said so many times that they are growing up so fast.  I don't want to let a minute pass us by.  We are fortunate to have access to an affordable vacation, we need to take advantage of it.  Our time together on this trip will not  be spent in expensive tourist destinations.  It will be spent enjoying time together exploring an area of the country none of us have ever been to.  I think that time will be priceless, I can't wait!

I look forward to keeping a journal of our vacation.  I will of course document what we did, but, I also know that I will keep a strict budget and account for every dime we spend.  I am frugal after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment