Saturday, May 16, 2009

Morel Mushrooms!!

Saturday night is normally taco night in my house.  It is cheap, reliable and easy.  However, we had a change of menu this evening.  My husband found morel mushrooms while on a camping trip this weekend.  Pictures of these treasure will be uploaded soon!   He found 7 ounces of mushrooms.  They were perfect.  Because we had this seasonal treasure, for free, we decided to splurge and have tenderloin tonight.  

For those of you who have not had morels, you are missing on a fantastic treat.  Really.  My husband and I look forward to morel season every year.  Occasionally we find wild morels, but often, we have to buy them.  They are not cheap, they run at about $40/lb.  Of course we NEVER buy more than 2-3 oz, just enough to saute and add to a steak.  So, you can imagine our excitement when 7 ounces were available to us for free!!  Does the cost of the steak cancel out the frugality of the mushrooms?  If so, I don't care.  Life is short and I am generally very cheap.  Sometimes it is okay to live a little and sit down to a great meal, which I had tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment