Sunday, March 28, 2010

Protein without Meat

We are trying to save money on groceries. One way we have found is to skip the meat as much as possible. Tonight we had Kung Po Tofu over Quinoa. The tofu and quinoa provided protein at a cheaper price than the same amount of meat would have cost us. For about $4 we got 2 pounds of tofu, 1 cup of quinoa cost us about $2. Not bad. We added some peppers and found that we had a very healthy, inexpensive and earth friendly meal for 5 for about $8 total.

The recipe for the tofu can be found at:

My kids liked this meal, my youngest did not love it. But, she ate without a lot of complaints. It is so hard to get kids to eat tofu, so we were happy to get them to eat it at all. I really want to make more of an effort to skip the meat and eat more plant based foods. My daughter, the vegetarian, would be forever grateful. I also feel like we would be a much healthier family if we would just skip the meat. I think our checking account would also thank us. As a meat lover though, I think it will be so hard. I have tried so many times, and failed on the quest to vegetarianism. Small steps I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment