Friday, April 30, 2010

My Sick Little Girl

My little girl is sick. She has strep throat, she is miserable and she is sad. I feel so bad for her today. Of course, she gets sick on a day that is 80 degrees, so that pesky fever feels even worse for her. I let her lay on the couch all day, watch Hannah Montana reruns and eat ice cream. Does this qualify me for Mother of the Year, or worse Mother on Earth? Judging by her fever, disposition and desire to be still, I think in her eyes I am Mother of the Year for just leaving her alone.

This leads me to something that always bugs me when my kids are sick. Maybe I can get some advice, or just validation for my actions and feelings when my kids are home sick. I leave them alone, let them "veg" in front of the TV and throw out all rules with meal time. That is what they want. But, I always hear this nagging voice in my mind telling me "make them read", "play a board game with them" or "do a craft". I ignore this voice because I can tell that they just want to be left alone. So, I let them indulge in hours of TV and hope that I am not some how damaging their little minds forever. Is this the right approach? My head says no, but my heart says leave them alone and let them be sick in peace and quiet.

2 comments:

  1. If that makes you the worst mother on earth, then move over on the podium, because I'm right beside you :-)

    In arguments of the head and heart, I usually let the heart win.

    Hope she is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely throw the rules out the window and let them have whatever comforts they like when they are sick. My Mr 6 was recently sick for the first time in his life and i let him have all the TV and icecream he wanted. My mother let us watch TV and drink flat lemonaide when we were sick but that didnt stop us from eating our healthy diet and playing fantastic games of make believe the rest of the time. Let the heart win honey and ditch the mommy guilt.
    x

    ReplyDelete