Monday, January 17, 2011

Day 17 - Safety First

Tonight all 3 of my kids have music lessons. My girls take violin and my son takes guitar. The lessons are about 15 minutes away from our home and require we take country roads to reach our destination. Well, tonight Wisconsin is getting a lot of snow and the plows are not keeping up with what is falling from the sky. The roads are slippery and the visibility is nearly none existent. In other words, driving is hazardous.

Winter storms on the nights of music lessons seem to be a trend. It does not matter what night of the week they are scheduled, the winter storms will always happen on music night. I always load the kids up and we go. Even though I know it is dangerous and not worth the risk. But, being the frugal person I am, I hate knowing that all that money is being wasted if we don't show up. Because, we pay even if we can't go to the lesson.

Tonight, I decided that part of my transformation this year has to involve letting go of this mind set and putting safety first. The safety and well being of my children is priceless, if I can't give up a few dollars to keep them safe, than I need to reconsider my priorities. I also find that when I drive in winter weather, I am scared, on edge and stressed out. I find myself angry at everyone because I feel like I have been forced to do something I don't want to do. I yell at the kids and my husband. Of course that makes sense, they are responsible for the bad weather (okay, a little sarcasm). Tonight we are staying at home, eating some crock pot chili and staying safe from the storm, a price tag cannot be put on peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment