Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day 20 - Buy My Daughter A Bird

Buying a bird should not be on my list of things to improve my life. I really do not care for animals in my house that are not of the K-9 variety. I think they smell, I question why they are pets and I am not responsible enough to take care of a pet that does not let me know when it is time to pee. My husband and I are dog people and that's it. My daughter, Hannah, is an animal person. She loves all pets and would love to have a room full of rodents, amphibians, birds and reptiles. She has an aquarium of fish, which she takes very good care of. But, she has wanted another pet for a long time.

At the start of the school year Hannah and I signed a contract. She gets a 3.5 in school, participates in a sport and practices her violin and she can have a hedgehog. I still can't believe I agreed to that, but we were desperate. Hannah is very smart, but is more than content to just get by without effort. Her teachers have been telling us for years that she rushes and doesn't try as hard as she should. That is why we created this contract. She worked her butt of this semester at school, practiced the violin and joined volleyball. Her GPA is above a 3.5 and she made the high honor roll. Proving what the experts have been saying all along. She can do it!

Thankfully she decided that a hedgehog is not the best idea and decided on a bird. So today I fulfill a promise to my daughter and she understands what it means to be rewarded for hard work. While I wish we were not getting a bird, I understand that I have to keep my promise, she kept hers. I also know that when I see her excitement at the pet store today I will be happy I did this for her. I only hope that bird understands that when the cover is on it's cage it has to be quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment