Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 24 - Put Things Into Perspective

I have a tendency to over react to the little things in life and to worry about things that don't matter. Rarely do I worry about running to the basement during a tornado warning or taking a fire alarm seriously. Ask my husband, during our first year of marriage the fire alarm went off in our apartment building, because there was an actual fire. I told my husband to come back and wake me up if there was in fact a real fire. But, if my kids get into a bit of minor trouble at school or they miss a band lesson, I FREAK out. I become convinced that this misstep will somehow lead to a bigger problem for them. I know, it is really stupid and tell myself that as I am freaking out about the small things.

Today's job is to start to learn how to put things into perspective. So my kid gets into trouble for being the class clown, will it really affect his adult life? No, it won't. I have a list of things that I over react to, I don't need to go into detail. If I do, everyone will think I am crazy, which I probably am. Aren't we all a little crazy? From now I need to take a step back and analyze the situation before I react. If it warrants an over reaction, say the house is on fire I react accordingly. If the situation involves a minor transgression that in the grand scheme of things will have no effect on anyone, ever, I let it go. Easier said than done. But at least I recognize my flaw and realize that I am willing to work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment