Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 83 - Get 15 Minutes Of Sun Everyday

It has been very cold, cloudy, rainy and dreary here in Wisconsin for the last several days. This weather always makes me very sad and depressed. The best way to combat those feelings is to get myself into the good old sunshine whenever the opportunity presents itself. When I woke up this morning, the sun was up!

After a meeting, I came home and decided that instead of going to the gym to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes, I would walk at home instead. After bundling up, as it is 20 degrees again, I headed outdoors for a brisk 45 minute walk. It felt great! I could feel my mood improving while improving my overall well being.

They say that all it takes is 15-30 minutes of sun exposure without sunscreen to produce Vitamin D, an important vitamin. I have also heard that walking outside has the same effect that an antidepressant has on someone who is depressed. I don't know whether or not that is true, and it is irrelevant for me. I am not a person who needs antidepressants. But, that is all I need to hear and read to encourage me to walk more and more often.

I am looking forward to Spring and Summer. I walk outdoors daily during those seasons. I continue to walk on the treadmill, but that is in doors. I need to be outside. In fact, as I write this, I think I will take another walk later on today. A little bit more sun would be really good for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment