Sunday, April 17, 2011

Day 107 - Start Using Cash, More

Today I went to fill up the gas tank, which created a bit of sticker shock! Wow, $3.85/gallon is a lot by American standards. I say that because Europeans pay a lot more than Americans and don't complain as much as we do. But, I am American, so I will complain. I think that $3.85 is a lot of money for gas. I noticed that if I paid cash, that was the cost. Using a credit card was $3.97/gallon. That was all I needed to see to pull out some cash and pay that way. Of course I saved $.80 for the whole transaction, which my daughter pointed out was not even a dollar. What a disappointment! But, I figure if I continue to pay cash for all my gas this summer, maybe I can save at least $20 to $30 by the end of summer.

It got me thinking, I should pay cash for more of my daily transactions. We use our credit card for everything in order to earn points. We do pay it off every month, but I know that we would spend a lot less money if we used more cash and less credit. This is something that we have done in the past, when we were getting out of credit card debt. Since getting out, we started to use our card again with the promise we pay it off. Of course, this has led us to getting used to having a bit more to spend every month, which we could save instead.

So, starting today, I am going to use cash a little bit more and credit a little bit less.

No comments:

Post a Comment