Monday, January 4, 2010

My first novel of the year

I have read my first novel of the year. For my monthly book club we read The Shack. For those who do not know what the book is about, here is a brief synopsis. A man's daughter is kidnapped and brutally murdered. He loses faith in God, so in an effort to restore is faith, God sends him a letter. The letter asks that he meet God at the shack where the murder took place. It is there were the man learns why God lets bad things happen.

I did not like the book. I realize that I am in the minority on that. Yesterday I had really strong opinions about why I disliked the book. But, after book club and talking about the story in detail I came to one important conclusion, for myself that is. The writer is not a good writer. The story could have been fantastic had it been written by someone with talent. Everyone in my book club felt the same way I did. Two of us even thought about Danielle Steel independently when reading the book. In hindsight, it is a shame because the author really had a nice idea, just not the tools or talent to create the book that I think The Shack could have been.

Now, please no nasty remarks about my opinion. My criticism had nothing to do with the message or content, just the writing. I leave my religion out of my blog because I do not like to discuss religion or politics in uncharted territory.

Tonight I am starting the book Olive Kitteridge. A book given to me for Christmas from my children. I can't wait to start.








No comments:

Post a Comment