Friday, January 7, 2011

Day 7- Go To New York City

My favorite place to visit is New York City. I am very lucky to be married to a man who understands this little quirk I have. He gives me his blessing to visit the Big Apple once a year with either a friend, my mom or one of our kids. It is my thing and probably will be until the day I die. Visiting NYC brings me great happiness and joy.

I am going to get back to this blogs frugal roots when writing this entry. NYC is a very expensive city to visit. Hotel bills alone can cost hundreds of dollars a night. A meal in restaurant is twice as much as a meal in Milwaukee and Broadway shows can be prohibitive. But, I have found ways to save when I travel.

To start, my airfare round trip was $137.00. Yep, that's it! For me to drive round trip to visit my parents in Minnesota would cost more. I found a great airline that flies out of Milwaukee, the flight is direct and the fare is always low. I fly economy every time, never giving in to the offers of upgrading my seats.

My hotel room was $120/night, a cost I split with my mom. We paid $60/night to stay in a very nice hotel in Manhattan. My friend was able to get a us a great deal with a corporate discount. I have never stayed in Manhattan for such a low price.

Our Broadway show was exactly $100/per ticket. A little more than I would normally like to spend, but it is Broadway. We did choose mezzanine seats and I bought them online at a discount broker. We got the best deal I could find, we certainly did not pay what we would have at the box office. I am happy with price because the play was great!

Dinners out were a little pricey. But, my mom and I split our bill, making it affordable. We also opted to do tasting menus at the restaurants when it was an option, saving us a lot. Lunches consisted of pretzels and nuts from the many food stands that can be found throughout the city. I even had breakfast free one morning thanks to a gift card I earned from swagbucks.com.

Traveling to NYC is not cheap. But with a little planning and flexibility it can become affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment