Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 4 - Take a daily vitamin

Taking a vitamin everyday is again something I sometimes do. If I am thinking about it in the morning, I will remember. But, more often than not it is just another thing that I forget to do on a daily basis. I have read several articles that state that they are not necessary if you eat a balanced diet, which I think I am already doing. But, who knows for sure if some key nutrient is missing. Who knows, maybe I am riboflavin deficient and don't even know it.

The nutrient I would imagine I could use a little more of is iron. Being female, I know how important iron can be for overall energy. We lose that nutrient once a month, it needs to be replenished, a daily vitamin seems like the easiest way to ensure that I get it back. I also know that I don't get enough calcium. I hate, hate, hate the taste of regular milk. It seems odd to me that human beings drink cow milk, when I drink it that is what I am thinking. So, for years I have been drinking soy milk instead, but not enough to give me a boost of calcium. I am also lactose intolerant, so that can limit things. I take Lactaid, but if I don't have it with me on the go, I avoid the dairy altogether.

I know I am eating the vitamins I hear about, the antioxidants, in my daily diet. I eat a lot of carrots and drink a lot of orange juice. Vitamins A and C are in those foods, so I know I am covered. Regardless, I am going to make a real effort to take my daily vitamin. I give them to my kids on a regular basis, why do I forget to take my own?

No comments:

Post a Comment