Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 44 - Buy A Blood Pressure Monitor For Home Use

Recently we had a little scare in regards to blood pressure. No need to give details. Unfortunately, it turned out that the day of a particular reading, the reading was dangerously high. Enough so that it scared both me and my husband enough to start taking that reading more seriously. A trip to the doctor 5 days later showed a lower and safer reading. While I am beyond relieved at that result, I am not convinced that blood pressure should not be monitored on a regular basis. So, I invested in an at home monitor that both my husband and I will be using at least a couple times a week just to check. If we notice a trend at some point in time, we can alert our doctor right away.

High blood pressure really is the silent killer. Elevated pressure is caused by many factors. Some of those factors are weight, stress, heredity, smoking and salt. While we can't do anything about the heredity aspect, we can do something about the rest of the factors I mention. If these things are not controlled you can have a stroke. It really is important to monitor this and if it is high, to keep it in under control.

So, as we continue with the year, this is something I plan on monitoring very closely. I also plan on monitoring my husband very closely. I love him more than he knows and want him here, with our family for many more years.

Just a little mention now about the blood tests I had done earlier this week. All of my tests came back within normal ranges. Cholesterol is great, which is a big relief because I have a family history of high cholesterol. Glucose was normal, again a relief because I also have a family history of diabetes. The thyroid and iron were also normal, which I was fully expecting since I have never had a symptom of problems with these levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment