Saturday, March 5, 2011

Day 64-Help My Daughter Organize

I have 3 children and all 3 of them are very unorganized! My son, Alec, seems to thrive in his state of chaos. He really is one of those people who does best when his room is a mess and nothing is in it's place, and that is fine. My youngest, Maeghan, is still too young to get a true reading on as far as organization is concerned. She is in 3rd grade and does well in school, so only time will tell if that state of chaos has an effect on her school work. My middle child, Hannah, lives in a lot of chaos and it shows. When her level of chaos is at it's worst, it is reflected in her grades and her ability to get her work done on time. This almost always leads to a heated argument that ends in her slamming a door and me wondering why I allowed myself to get pulled into yet another useless argument.

Recently we have decided to start trying to change things. Hannah's teachers are helping her out with organizing her work and I am helping her out at home. We are in the process of completely organizing her room, cleaning out her closet, emptying dresser drawers, shelves and cleaning her desk. With school related stuff her backpack has been emptied, we set up a huge binder for her work and made a spot for her agenda. Over the course of the week, we are going to start creating a schedule that will her better her time management skills. I am hopeful that with these changes we will see an improvement in her school work.

I am helping her make these changes for me as much as for her. Hannah and I have a tendency to lock horns over these issues. She is a very unorganized person, and that is fine, it is who she is. But, the fact of the matter is that our constant bickering over these issues is making it harder for me to become the happier and healthier person that I wish to become.

No comments:

Post a Comment