Monday, March 28, 2011

Day 87 - Add More Whole Grains To My Diet

I have been trying to add more whole grains to my diet. Tonight, we had quinoa as a side dish to some fish that I had made. Whole grains have far more nutrition than the white grains that Americans tend to gravitate to. I myself prefer the whole grains, but lets face it, they are not always that tasty to kids. My kids are pretty good about eating them, but they would prefer white rice or white bread. So, I don't serve the whole grains as much as I should. I am going to try to start changing that.

Whole grains offer the following benefits:

    • reduced risk of asthma
    • healthier carotid arteries
    • reduction of inflammatory disease risk
    • lower risk of colorectal cancer
    • healthier blood pressure levels
    • less gum disease and tooth loss
    • stroke risk reduced 30-36%
    • type 2 diabetes risk reduced 21-30%
    • heart disease risk reduced 25-28%
    • better weight maintenance



No comments:

Post a Comment