Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 89 - Add More Orange Produce To My Diet

Eating fruits and vegetables that are orange have a big impact on our over all health. Alpha carotene is the antioxidant that is found in orange fruits and vegetables such as carrots and pumpkins. People who have higher levels of alpha carotene in their bloodstream are less likely to die of heart disease and cancer. I have only one thing to say to that, pass the carrots!

Tonight I implemented this new addition to our diet at dinner. We had a fruit salad that had fresh mango. Last night I also added some sweet potato to our vegetarian chili. Tomorrow I am planning a trip to the grocery store, I plan on loading up these little treasures. Here is a list I have compiled of orange fruits and vegetables that I think will count:

1. Cantaloupe
2. Mango
3. Carrots
4. Peaches
5. Sweet Potatoes
6. Pumpkin
7. Butternut Squash
8. Acorn Squash
9. Nectarines
10. Apricots
11. Papaya

I think that is a pretty good list, I am at a loss to think of anything else to add. If someone has something to add, please send it my way.

I want to add that as I have been taking this journey this year, I am feeling better. More organized, less scattered, I have more energy and I am happier. I feel like writing this out and exposing myself to friends and strangers is keeping me accountable. I appreciate that. I have so many more things that I need to change, probably more than an entire year's worth, but this has proven to be a really good start. It is making me realize that we are all so flawed in so many ways and that no one is perfect. Every decision seems to have a lasting impact, from the foods we eat to the emotions we allow to fester within us. I wish I would have done this years ago and not waited for the looming big 40 to change my ways. But, I guess better late than never is the way to look at things. Now, off to write that grocery list that will no doubt include beans, orange vegetables and grains!

No comments:

Post a Comment