Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 167 - Walk Away

Yesterday, when I got home from work I walked into yet another fight between my oldest children. I guess my son called my daughter a dumb ass before I got home and she wanted a swift and severe punishment for this so called indiscretion. Now, I didn't think this was so bad. I can think of worse things to call your sibling, and I am sure that they have called each other these names when not in my presence. I just had the terrible misfortune of walking through the door when dumb ass was thrown at her.

My presence seemed to be an invite to try to pull me into this fight. Alec said he felt that I should be punishing Hannah for what she did to be called a dumb ass. Hannah felt that Alec should be punished for calling her a dumb ass. My only thought was I am a dumb ass for being pulled into yet another stupid fight. So, before I started yelling, I turned around and walked out the front door. I walked up and down the street a few times and then went home. When I got back Alec was in the basement, Hannah was cooking dinner and the fight was forgotten. Clearly, I am the problem. I learned a valuable lesson a little late in the parenting game. Stay out of it and walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment