Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Anticipating Summer Vacation

For those of you who have school age children, I am sure you understand what I am feeling when I say I have mixed emotions about summer vacation.  Personally, I always have a list of activities that are going to fill our long, lazy days.  In the past, the list has included such fantasies as:

1.  Flying kites on the shore of Lake Michigan
2.  Go on nature walks in the woods and find unusual and exotic bugs
3.  Build a puppet show in the back yard with an old appliance box and make homemade puppets out of old socks
4.  Go to a water park in Wisconsin Dells

I don't need to bore my readers with the rest of my list. It is obvious that while this list conjures up visions of angelic children, smiling and laughing, we all know better.  First of all, Lake Michigan is great.  I am blessed to live in such a wonderful area.  Not to mention, the kite flying is fabulous, with adults!  Imagine three kids, three kites and the winds that Lake Michigan can produce.  Yes, a recipe for disaster!  Fights will ensue, kites will tangle and tears will be shed.  Not to mention mom will yell and probably swear at some point during this much anticipated day trip to the lake.  Next, my big idea of nature walks.  Two words, Wisconsin and mosquitoes.  I learned very early on that when on a nature walk in this great state of ours, it is a war in June and July.  Mosquitoes versus humans, mosquitoes usually win.  Even with OFF! My next great idea, the puppet show.  Well, let's just say that great project of mine ended with the box being torn apart by the dog before the show could go on.  Finally, a water park in Wisconsin Dells.  Need I say more?  

This year, I am ready.  Much to the dismay of my children, I have thrown out my frugal tendencies in preparation for the summer months.  With the help of careful budgeting and early planning, I have uttered two words dreaded by children all over America.  Summer School.  As of 8:11 p.m. this evening, my 3 wonderful children are enrolled in our school district's Summer Opportunities Program, known to all of us as summer school.  For 4 glorious, fight free, whine free weeks my children are going to summer school from 8:30 to 11:30 am.  Yes, the "I'm boreds", the fighting and the constant nagging to go on the computer will begin at 12:00 everyday, but my mornings will be blissfully without the aspects of summer vacation all parents dread.

The second thing I have done to combat the summer fighting and the ultimate boredom, I signed my older children up for summer camp.  They are lucky to be going to the same camp that my husband and I both attended when we were kids.  It is a beautiful camp in Northern Wisconsin.  They will be attending camp for one week, enjoying the great outdoors, and probably fighting those mosquitos.

We are able to give our children these opportunities this summer because we are not going to take a vacation.  We usually take a summer vacation somewhere, even if it is within the state. We are using our vacation fund on these activities this summer instead of a trip somewhere.  It seems like the prudent choice this year given the state of the economy and the uncertainty we are all feeling right now.  By using the vacation funds set aside, we can pay for these activities without wondering where the money is going to come from.

I need to end my post by emphasizing that I do love having my children home with me in the summer. We have wonderful memories of summers past.  We catch fireflies at night, swim in Lake Michigan, grill out most evenings and bike ride.  The majority of our time together is peaceful and positive.   Realistically though, I know that the summer is just too long for them. Sibling fighting is normal and it is normal for parents to get frustrated with the many disadvantages of such a long break from school.  I do have plans for summer activities, and when I imagine doing those activities, the outcome is perfect.  But, then I snap back to reality and realize that no matter what, no activity ever turns out perfect, it is part of being a parent. Who knows, maybe I will even attempt that trip to a Wisconsin Dells water park this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment