Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Buying in Bulk

On my most recent trip to the grocery store I found a great buy that I could not pass up.  The store I visit had buy on Sirloin Tip Roast, get one free.  The cost of the first roast was about $3.49/lb, the final cost was $13.81.  I got the second roast which was $13.00 for free.  Both roasts are around 3 pounds, so I got 6 pounds of sirloin tip roast for $2.30/lb.  I felt that was a pretty good deal and knew that I could feed my family 4 meals with these 2 pieces of meat.

Tonight I cut the first roast in half and cut it into chunks, we are having beef stroganoff.  My family loves stroganoff, it is a great comfort food, especially on the blustery day that we are experiencing here in Wisconsin.  The stroganoff will be over egg noodles that I got for .55 cents and we will have a side of asparagus, which I found for $1.99/lb.   Total cost for tonights meal will cost us $6.00.  I am not including the cost of pantry staples that I used to flavor the meal; butter, garlic, onion, sour cream and beef cubes.  I have those things around all the time, so it is not a cost that I incurred specifically for this meal.

I have already cut the other half of my roast into bite sized chunks.  Tomorrow's menu is beef stew cooked in the crock pot.  I have some carrots that are probably a bit past their edible raw stage, some potatoes and green beans, all will be thrown in the pot.   Since I work tomorrow, it will be so nice to come home to dinner being cooked.

Generally, my family does not eat a lot of red meat.  We very rarely eat it more than once a week, if even once a month.  But, I made an exception to the rule this week so that I could take advantage of the low cost of the meat I found.  The second roast will remain in the deep freeze for several weeks until I pull it out again and turn it into 2 meals for my family.   For my 2 readers out there, if you have any great ideas for that second roast please send recipes.  I am always open to new ideas in the kitchen.

1 comment:

  1. oh, stroganoff, such a great comfort food!

    I need to get better about bulk buying meats and expand my reach beyond my usual chicken breasts and ground beef.

    You've got more than two readers :-)

    Best wishes! - Kara

    ReplyDelete