Monday, April 6, 2009

Gym Membership

I have had a gym membership at a local club for about 15 months.  It is a gym that I really like, a lot in fact.  My number one reason for liking it, there are very few children roaming around when I visit.  It is a club for adults, with a few small children's classes.  It is not the Y so I don't run across the endless stream of children everywhere.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE children!  I have 3 of my own and welcome my children's friends into my home happily.  I do find though that when I workout, I like it to be as close to child free as possible.  So, I have kept this membership instead of opting for the YMCA. 

My membership is $65/month.  Sadly, because of the distance from my house and my hectic schedule I do not get to the gym as much as I would like.  So, I decided that it is time for me to reevaluate if this membership makes sense to me financially and if it is even practical.  I have always been frugal, but never felt that it was a good idea to forgo a gym membership if it means better health.  My gym allows me to put my membership on a 3 month hold for $5/month, which I have chosen to do.  For the next 3 months I am going to see if I can exercise at home successfully without the hefty price tag.

I am also going to reevaluate whether or not my apprehension to join the Y is valid.  Yes, I have an aversion to have so many kids around while I work out.  But, part of the reason I can't find time to get to my own gym is my children's schedules.  Maybe, if I stop being so stubborn about this I could sign my kids up for activities at the Y and enjoy some time to myself exercising while the are busy.   I know that my daughters would be so appreciative if I would get a Y membership.  They are avid swimmers and our local YMCA has a beautiful pool.  My son could play basketball or run on the track.  I might even be able to get my husband to join us for a night at the Y.

I am off to a good start!  I just worked out in my basement on my recumbent bike for 35 minutes.  Not enough time for a good work out, but better then nothing, counts toward that 30 minutes of activity a day that we are all suppose to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment