Monday, April 20, 2009

Family Game Night



Tonight my family and I played a game together.  Apples to Apples Junior was the game of choice for us this evening.  We try to play a game once a week, but, I sadly admit that we are not always able to do so. 

My kids like to play games.  They usually have a good time and enjoy the family time together.  But, I have learned that there is a time limit to what we can do until fighting begins. Because board games involve a winner and a loser, my oldest children who have been rivals since birth become very competitive when it is clear that one of them will be the winner, instead of the rest of the family.  I can win, my husband or youngest can win, and they are fine with losing.  The attitude completely changes when that turns out not to be the outcome.  So, when that starts to happen, it is time to wind things down and end the game gracefully and without fighting.  It can be a challenge, but tonight we were successful, everyone ended the game pretty happy, in fact they want to play again tomorrow night.

We have always liked to play board games as a family.  It is such a frugal activity.  Of course the upfront cost of purchasing the game is required.  But, once the game is purchased, it will pay for itself in just a few uses.  The time together as a family is invaluable.  I love the idea of having time with my kids that involves thought and conversation.  The TV and computer are off and the phone is ignored.  Kids grow up so fast, I believe that it is so important to embrace these moments together, they won't be here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment