Thursday, April 23, 2009

Volunteering

Recently, I decided to start volunteering some of my time to help in the community.  I have always been active in my kid's school, but I felt I wanted to do more.  I have been getting burned out working with kids, and knew it was time to find something new.  So, I went out to the website http://www.volunteermilwaukee.org  to start my search.  When I started with this search I knew that I had limited time, I wanted to work with adults and I wanted it to be something that kept me moving.  After some in depth research, I found Meals on Wheels.

I deliver meals once a week to seniors living in my community.  It has turned out to be incredibly rewarding, fun and easy work (physically that is).  The people are so grateful for the meals that are delivered and some are so happy for the conversation that comes with the meal delivery.  I believe that I am getting so much from this experience and plan on continuing with this volunteer organization for a long time.  

My girls even accompanied me last week for a delivery, and I feel they got a lot from the experience.  Like all parents,  I want all of my children to be compassionate and caring.  I also want them to realize how lucky they are to have such a rich life.  I am not talking about money and material items.  I am talking rich in love, family and friends.  By showing them the importance of volunteering their time and resources in community at a young age, I believe that I am on the right track in teaching them those things.  I also want them to realize that it is so important to give back to one's community in whatever way is possible.  We all benefit when we give our time to the communities that give us so much.

In the years to come, I hope to be able to give more volunteer hours to community and to organizations I care about and believe in.  Right now, my time is limited.  I also continue to volunteer in my children's school.  Next year, when my son is in middle school, I will need to spread myself out even more in my community.  But, I believe it will be worth it for both me and my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment