Sunday, April 19, 2009

Salad People



Tonight I had help in the kitchen.  My daughter, Hannah, helped with the preparation of tonight's meal.  Yesterday, she went through some cook books, picked out some dishes and gave me a list of what I would need.  I am so proud of her, she really showed maturity today.

First thing on her meal plan, salad people.  We cut up strawberries, cucumbers, string cheese, bananas, cantaloupe, celery, etc.  We then took the pieces of produce and cheese to make salad people.  Everyone was able to make their own salad person.  My husband and son made aliens, my daughters made little girls and I made a down in out depressed person(at least that is what my husband said mine looked like).  It is really hard to be artistic with food.  I think he was being a little critical!  The great thing about this salad was my kids picked out what they wanted, so they ate it all.  My kids really did get their recommended daily allowance of fruits and vegetables today.  I heard no complaints, only compliments for my daughter's choice.

Next thing on her menu, cranberry lemonade.  This was lemonade made from scratch, no little packets (which I am guilty of using).  She used the measuring cups and spoons correctly, she needed a little guidance with the math, but she did great.  The lemonade turned out very tasty.  I had her cut the sugar in half which turned out to be perfect.  More sugar and that would have been some VERY sweet lemonade.

Finally, she made Chocolate Banana Milk Shakes for dessert.  YUM!  The best thing about this milk shake was that it did not call for ice cream.  We used frozen bananas and ice cubes. Seriously, it was the best milk shake I have ever had.  My son, Alec, wants me to emphasize in this blog how good the shake really was.  I think that this is a shake that could be served at breakfast.  I will pass on doing that though  because it turned out to be such a successful dessert.  I would like to start serving healthy desserts and this shake definitely qualifies.  We were able to use frozen bananas that had come from my husbands employer.  One day Eric came home with dozens of free bananas.  We cut them up and froze them.  We have a lifetime supply of bananas for smoothies, all for free.

I made the main course, since it required the stove, it was my responsibility.  I shopped my own freezer and found some tortellini, I threw some pesto in it and voila, dinner was served.  My daughter really did the bulk of the menu planning, the list and the prep work.  I just did the dangerous cutting and the very simple main course.  She even set the table.  I told her tonight she is hired!  She can help again next Sunday.  I wonder what she will have planned next week?

1 comment:

  1. could you post the recipe (or amounts of different things) used in this amazing milkshake you talk of? i'd love to try making it!

    ReplyDelete