Saturday, February 26, 2011

Day 57 - One On One Time With My Kids

Last night my husband and I took our 12 year old daughter out to dinner, alone. For 2 hours she had our undivided attention. I could tell that she was very happy that we were able to give her some much need time with us alone. We were able to do this because her brother is out of town and her sister was at a Brownie event. Tonight, we are going to take our 8 year old to a movie alone. Her sister is going to a sleepover and her brother is still out of town.

One of the things I really want to do more of this year is giving each of my kids some time with us alone. It is a really hard thing to accomplish because our schedules are so busy and we have 3 kids. I often feel guilty if I leave 2 at home while doing something with the third. I never want any of my kids to think I am giving undivided attention to one at the expense of the others. But, I am beginning to realize that if I even the time out, it is possible. But most of all, it is important. It is crucial that each of them have time alone with us doing something that THEY want to do.

So, we are going to do just that. Last night we went to a vegetarian restaurant with our vegetarian daughter. Tonight we are going to see Gnomio and Juliet with our 8 year old. A movie that I personally have not interest in seeing, at all. But, her feelings are what matter on this one night that she has both of her parents to herself. We did draw the line on McDonald's though. I just can't eat there. The food truly grosses me out, so we are eating tacos at home instead before we head out to the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment