Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 76 - Enjoy St. Patrick's Day Without Pressure

This probably sounds like a really weird resolution, but it makes sense for my family. Every year I feel obligated to make a traditional St. Patrick's food, Corned Beef and Cabbage. I do this because yet again, I feel like I have to adhere to every tradition in my never ending quest to provide my children with an idilic childhood that is only found in a Martha Stewart Magazine. Here is the thing though, we all hate it Corned Beef and Cabbage. I mean, we really hate that dish. With a passion. Every year I make it because for some reason I feel like if we don't eat it, I am throwing all tradition out the window. Wow! I put a lot of unnecessary pressure on myself. Don't I?

This year, I decided to save the money that I would throw out, after my family declared a mutiny and made a simple meal that I knew the family would love. I made a Shepard's Pie, Irish food, that we ate up and loved. I learned a lesson, stop forcing myself to try and give my children a perfect childhood in every way because I think that I am suppose to. Even if by doing so I am torturing them. Corned Beef and Cabbage is torture.

This year's meal provided not one leftover. It was a lot cheaper and easier to make. Most importantly, it did not stink up my house!!

No comments:

Post a Comment