Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 105 - Learn To Forgive

I can hold a grudge! It is not something I am proud of and know that it is not a positive personality trait. But, it is part of who I am. Be that as it may, I should probably start trying to forgive those who have hurt me instead of plotting my revenge. Clearly, a woman approaching 40 should not be holding grudges over things that are not important, it is time I at least save my grudge holding for things that matter.

This is something that I have been working on for years. Since I was a kid, I could hold a grudge longer than anyone I knew. Lovely, huh? I must have been a really fun toddler! I recognize that I am in need of an attitude adjustment and embrace my willingness and readiness to change. That doesn't mean it has been easy.

When I am really mad at someone who is trying to mend fences, my husband usually, I will be telling myself that I need to let it go, but I can't. So, recently I have just not allowed myself to get so mad about the things that don't matter. I will just walk away, or find a way to avoid the situation. In other words, I don't engage in a situation that will lead to conflict. It has worked for me. I find I am happier and calmer. But, that doesn't mean I am cured by any means. Issues have a way of popping up that can cause conflict. Those are the situations that require me to develop better coping skills. I am working on it. I am evolving and I am becoming a better person and example for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment