Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 117 - What Is A Friend

What is a friend? I have always believed that a friend is someone who sticks by you. Someone you stick by as well. A friend is a person who tells you when you are being a great person, but will also tell you when you are being a real jerk. Friends are with you through thick and thin and will see you at your worst. A friend is always willing to accept your faults, no matter what the circumstances might be.

Recently I have had to reexamine a relationship in my life that I had once considered to be a friendship, but it really wasn't. Not at all in fact. All of the things that I wrote about above are things that were non existent in our so called friendship, probably on both sides of the relationship. After a lot of drama and turbulence, hurt feelings and anger, I decided that it was time to let this particular friendship go. For circumstances that I cannot get into, it has been hard for a lot of people besides myself. That is the thing with relationships, other people are involved and they can be hurt as well.

The friend I speak of is someone who needs constant attention, praise and admiration from those around her. No matter what one does, it is never enough. As a mother of 3, a wife and a daughter it just became too much for me to handle emotionally. So, I did what so many of us have to do for our own mental health. I let go. I am better for it. My family is better for it. The woman I let go is probably better for it as well. Sometimes, a little tough love is all someone needs to realize that their actions can lead to hurt feelings and broken relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment