Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 119 - Watch A Royal Wedding

I am secretly a big fan of the royal family. I guess it is not a secret anymore, and my husband will probably cringe when he reads this, finding out my ugly truth. I have always been fascinated by the fact that a monarchy in this day and age still exists, and it is something about the British monarchy that I find especially fascinating.

Maybe it is because my beloved grandfather was 100% English. He was so proud of his heritage. I still remember him visiting my family the day that Charles and Diana got married. He was so excited about that wedding. I remember details about it to this day. Which is somewhat remarkable given that it was 30 years ago and I struggle to remember details about yesterday.

I have also read more historical fiction about the British monarchy than any other type of historical fiction. Phillipa Gregory has been a favorite author of mine for years. Her stories about Henry and Anne Bolyn, to name one, has given me hours of entertainment. It also causes me to spend hours online doing research about people who have been gone a long time.

I would guess my interest is also just another symptom of my love of everything historical. I have a Bachelors Degree in History (only useful if planning on teaching history which I have learned) but with that love I have found myself reading and researching topics for fun that others do only when required.

Which brings me to why I watched the wedding. Because I wanted to take part in a monumental, historical occasion. I wanted to watch that beautiful couple get married, and imagine what it must feel like to be a commoner, only to become a princess. A childhood dream for so many little girls. In 2011 it became a reality for one girl and I was there to watch it along with millions of others. I enjoyed it and it made me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment