Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 180 - Don't Take Things Personally

I can take comments said as a joke personally. I don't know why I do that, but I do. I will dwell on it, dissect it, try to figure out what it meant and then forget about it a couple days later. It is very funny that I am like that, because I am a sarcastic person. I know that I say things as a joke that probably hurt. I guess it is fair to say that I am a hypocrite. I need to figure out a way to get past the jokes that bug me and realize that a joke is a joke.

So, from now on my plan of action involves this. Laugh it off, walk away and let it go. Easier said than done for me. But, worth a try.

I do need to become more sensitive to other's feelings as well. When I think I am being funny I need to think twice and ask myself if I am the only one who thinks what I am about to say is funny. If I tell myself yes, clearly I need to shut up. I know that more than once I have hurt my own husband because I think I am quite the comedian, only to realize that I am being mean spirited.

Again, I am proving myself to be a work in progress. Do any of us ever get to the point of perfect health, perfect spirit, perfect home? I look at myself and find so much room for improvement and wonder, am I the only one like this. Or, do others feel like they need improvement in every aspect of their lives, like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment